Nights Edge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Nights Edge

Nights edge is an Open discussion board

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» muslim mantra sadhana
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 am by rashid6245

» Islamic Marriage Astrology
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 am by nix01

» TOP CAT THE MOVIE
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 pm by sexyonjeans

» noclegi rewal domki
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 6:29 pm by Guest

» apartamenty szklarska poreba sprzedaz
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 pm by Guest

» apartamenty asana bialystok
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 pm by Guest

» likes for facebook pages xk
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 9:05 pm by Guest

» Buy Neopoints...
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 8:29 pm by Guest

» When the first Whirlpool Duet album was released in December 2001 came as a surprise to the public
I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 4:52 pm by Guest

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Maxxhits.com - FREE Search Engine Submission
Click here to submit your URL to over 8000 search engines,
directories and links pages Free. Boost your website's traffic fast!!
Our site is a forum for open discussions of all type..Handicaps and animals the list goes on..join our quiet community
Free Forum Promotion

Top List

metachronos

Free Top Site

Buy Relevant Links
Buy Relevant Links

Vote For Nights Edge
at Jewell

TopSiteList

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!

Free Top Site

Advanced Anime - Anime Girls and More!

Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools

I have an addiction.Help me stop

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mahjong

mahjong

I have an addiction.Help me stop Empty
PostSubject: I have an addiction.Help me stop   I have an addiction.Help me stop Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Help Me Stop Means I Have No Control:

One of AA's 12 steps is admitting that you're powerless to help yourself and you need God's help to recover. While I understand the reasons behind the wording, if you can get to a meeting, work the steps and ask for God's help, you're far from powerless. This is a difference not just in words, but in attitude. The attitude of 'help me stop' says, "I can't do anything and might as well continue to be a slave to my addiction." The AA attitude is, "I'll get to a meeting, seek God's help, and stay sober one day at a time...that's enough."

Help Me Stop Means I Want Sympathy:

As much as the plea means addicts feel they can't stop, it also means they want you to help and support them because they can't stop. The plea is a tool to manipulate those who care, to provide food, clothing, shelter, even money, not so the addict can quit...so they can continue with their addiction. How many families and friends have fallen for this one? Oh, they'll make a good show of it for the right amount of sympathy...maybe even check into rehab to keep their job, but it's all just a ploy to garner more sympathy and more support from unwitting loved ones.
Whole communities have been sucked into spending millions to support addictions, rather than recovery. Sympathy causes communities to hand out free needles to IV drug users, thinking they're saving them from some of the consequences of addiction. Many communities now provide methadone to heroine addicts, thinking this helps them with their addiction. All these things do is enable addiction by making it easier to be an addict. This actually harms addicts because it delays the day they have to face the real choice of recovery or death. This choice is often the only thing that will force an addict to choose recovery. For those who choose otherwise, no program will help.

Help me Stop Means I Want To Escape Responsibility:

Often, these addiction programs help addicts do something they're already very good at...escaping responsibility. Addicts will make anyone responsible for their behavior but themselves. They take the drugs, but can't help it, so it's my fault or your fault or the government, ex-wife or ex-boss. You see this a lot among Christian addicts, who will ask for God to remove the addiction. Then, if they still want their drug, it's God's fault for not healing them. All addicts repeat after me, "I did this to myself!" Once you 'own' the problem, you have far greater control over the solution. Now you can take an honest assessment of yourself (also in the 12 steps) to start getting at the root causes of your addiction and get on to doing what it takes for recovery.

I Stopped, Please Help Me:

This plea is the one I long to hear, because it tells me you're exercising your control, seeking help rather than sympathy and accepting the responsibility. Any addict in this frame of mind can be helped, because they really want help to live in recovery and not addiction. The kind of help we want in this case isn't home, food, clothing, but help to understand ourselves, heal relationships and chart a new course free of addiction. When you want this kind of help, you won't need help to quit.
Back to top Go down

I have an addiction.Help me stop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nights Edge :: Addiction & Recovery Can Anyone Help Me?-
Jump to: